SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:59 am 

How do you handle animals with psychic powers? Give them a Discipline at a certain level and a pool of Psi-Points to use? Or do they have "free" use of their powers (as do "feral psychics" and madmen)? Also, how do you handle an NPC mad/"feral" Psychic who had the metadimensional energies burn a path through his mind? Can he simply use any power he knows as much as he wants (though only one activation per round)?

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:34 pm 

I treat animals with psychic powers like NPCs. I give them a reasonable, but usually low, number of Psi-Points. I would keep their Levels pretty low though.

For a burn-out, I might actually go the other way - give them MORE Psi-Points, since they have fried parts of their brain, they can actually do more since it just keeps frying the same part of the brain. I would not give them any extra levels or abilities.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:48 pm 

I got an answer for this by Kevin Crawford on Google+:

Quote:
Psychic aliens might use conventional psionic rules, or they might just have a trick or two they can do whenever they feel like it as an evolved natural quality. Non-sentient animals are unlikely to have more than one or two closely-related abilities, while intelligent users might have more breadth. With regard to feral psychics, they can indeed use any of their known powers as often as they want, at the usual once-per-round limit. Ferals might develop entirely new powers based on their own particular lunacies or obsessions, or might learn more standard powers the longer they're left unchecked.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King