SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:37 am 

EDG,
IIRC, the data for your revised 2300AD start map was on your blog page. Is it still available?

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:00 am 
Administrator

The star maps I made from it are available, at least. I don't think I've made the actual compiled data available though. I suppose I could make it available as a csv.

The 2300AD stuff I've written so far is here: http://evildrganymede.net/wp/category/rpgs/2300ad/

Also, welcome aboard! :)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:06 pm 

I'm an avid follower of your 2300AD and Stellar Mapping pages. Awesome stuff!!

I would be very interested in a .csv of the data to import into AS.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm 

I hereby resurrect this thread, for two three nefarious purposes:

1) the 2300AD csv would be great. I pulled your various star map files from your site, and I think a few of your 2300 reference stars are missing from that data.

2) Wondering about current star data vs. what's still undiscovered. If I look at a display of all the stars near earth, there are some big empty gaps, such as between Earth and 61 Cygni. How likely is it that there are a few undiscovered M dwarfs in that direction? I assume we'll keep discovering new brown dwarfs by the truckload, but how many red dwarfs might be lurking still within say 20 ly?

3) wikipedia keeps a list of nearby stars. Is there a good place to go with more current data that's easily accessible?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:05 am 

Matt Wilson wrote:
2) Wondering about current star data vs. what's still undiscovered. If I look at a display of all the stars near earth, there are some big empty gaps, such as between Earth and 61 Cygni. How likely is it that there are a few undiscovered M dwarfs in that direction? I assume we'll keep discovering new brown dwarfs by the truckload, but how many red dwarfs might be lurking still within say 20 ly?

That depends how dim an object you're prepared to consider. The Tycho-2 catalogue, based on Hipparcos data, is 99% complete to magnitude 11 and 90% complete to magnitude 11.5, but for an M9 with luminosity of 0.00015 L I reckon that that is only 2 pc — 6.5 light-years or so. GAIA data will be a lot more complete. I think, though I am not confident that I am calculating the right things because the magnitude scale confuses me, that it ought to be 99% complete for M9 and brighter out to 126 parsecs, and published next year.

Quote:
3) wikipedia keeps a list of nearby stars. Is there a good place to go with more current data that's easily accessible?

I don't know how easily accessible the GAIA data published so far is. There's an overwhelming amount of it and I think it is lacking any identifiers that would allow you to identify its data points with entries in any other catalogue. Also, the data published so far (last September) are preliminary and I don't know what they are missing.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:41 am 

Agemegos wrote:
That depends how dim an object you're prepared to consider.

The AllWISE catalog has a limiting magnitude around 16 in the near infrared. It should spot an M5 dwarf (actually the dimmest in those bands) out to 191 pc.

Quote:
I don't know how easily accessible the GAIA data published so far is. There's an overwhelming amount of it and I think it is lacking any identifiers that would allow you to identify its data points with entries in any other catalogue. Also, the data published so far (last September) are preliminary and I don't know what they are missing.

The Gaia* Data Release 1 (DR1) catalog is available from the VizieR catalog service ( http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/ ), along with AllWISE and a plethora of others. DR1 includes astrometry and G-band photometry for 1.1 billion sources, but no proper motion data or spectroscopy. There is also a hybrid Tycho-Gaia catalog that gives distances and proper motions for objects in the Tycho catalog, based on the differences between the two.

VizieR lets you search multiple catalogs by position, with an accuracy you specify. There is a tool called TOPCAT (Tool for OPerations on Catalogues And Tables, http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/%7Embt/topcat/) that I haven't played with yet, but is supposed to let you search and manipulate even extremely large catalogs in near real time.

*Not an acronym any more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:48 am 

Gotta love the information you guys are sharing with us, thank you :)

Now, if I can make sense of how to query the database... I knew there was a reason I shouldn't have been kicked out of school at 17...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:34 pm 

Well huh, I figured that we'd eventually fill in a bunch of those spaces, but I guess it's always going to take a while to get to Sigma Draconis.