SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:58 pm 
Administrator

http://evildrganymede.net/2012/02/13/st ... -star-map/

I've been meaning to do this for a long time - now that I've updated my Stellar Mapping page, I've taken a look at the 2300AD Near Star Map to find out where it's different to the distribution of real stars around Sol. And it turns out to be quite interesting, as I describe in this rather huge article (which also includes route maps and an animation)!

If you're a fan of the 2300AD RPG, you'll be wanting to look at this! Feel free to discuss this here or in my blog comments if you're interested! (also, please point people interested in 2300AD to the blog page!)

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:28 pm 

I would LOVE to take the Premise of 2300AD and put it to the real star map. Roll up every system randomly using the world gen method in the original book (not sure it will be in the new version) and see what happens. In every case where known planets exist, include them.

Sure the "arms" would be broken, but there could/might be cultural reasons that would create these artificial arms with some minor (smuggler) routes between them...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 pm 

Very nice job EDG. Pity that Mongoose did not opt for your services. Changing the names back to their original, have you tried approaching D101 games who are also doing a Hard SF game called River to Heaven (I think). You have the expertise and knowledge to make an excellent product and I am sure Jon is quite amenable to changes to the manuscript.

No slight to Colin's work (which is excellent, btw - if all his corrections make the final text) but Hard SF is looking to be a crowded market for some time. And, at least for me, this a good thing...damn tired of Space Opera with a species on every world and people mistaking ecologies for an excuse to flip through the Monster Manual. Willy-nilly, we are getting there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 pm 

Thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:26 pm 

Oh wow EDG, that really is excellent work.

You should post a link to it on the 2300ad Facebook page.

By the way did you ever see Anders Sandberg's work on the original:
http://www.aleph.se/Nada/Game/2300AD/Escape/Escape.pdf
and I seem to remember he did a map showing the knock on effects if the distance was increased by technological advancement to 9ly.
Interesting stuff.

Spica Publications
Infinite Stars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 pm 
Administrator

I posted a link to it on the facebook page yesterday :).

I didn't see that, thanks! Interesting read (I like Anders' stuff anyway!). I have noticed two clusters stand out on the HipX maps - there's the Ursa Major Moving Group on the (current) French Arm, and the more distant Hyades open cluster (which shows up as a dense, compact network of 7.7ly links).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:57 am 
Administrator

http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.5764

Xi Ursae Majoris gets a brown dwarf companion! Fortunately it's part of the system so I won't need to add it to the map :)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:56 am 

I hope, as you're putting this together, you'll provide us a map of what real space looks like without all those fictional Kafer stars. Anders stuff is great, but he does indulge the fiction in his maps.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:39 am 
Administrator

Kafer space is actually pretty empty without the fictional stars (we'd be missing a lot of red and brown dwarfs that far out)... but I could show what that looks like I guess.

I am working (very slowly) on updated arms, just been trying to get Astrosynthesis to do what I want it to do.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:06 pm 

Shiny! I wish I had been able to use these for 2300AD. This is all excellent work. Mr. Evil.