SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:14 pm 

Colin wrote:
I wish I had been able to use these for 2300AD.

G'Day Colin, did you have a particular brief in not changing the star map to reflect recent advances in astrography?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:46 am 
Administrator

I haven't forgotten about posting more realistic stutterwarp links... I'm still trying to get astrosynthesis to do what I want it to do to make the new maps presentable.

EDIT: See viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2304&p=27268 for a sneak preview!

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 am 
Administrator

I recently got a request for the Astrosynthesis file that I used to make my 2300AD Near Star Map, so I've tracked it down and posted it on my blog for anyone who wants to use it! It's at: http://evildrganymede.net/2013/02/10/23 ... s-db-file/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:10 am 

Great Job! That is really helpful

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 am 
Administrator

By Jove, I think I've done it! I declare my updated Near Star Catalogue complete - at least for my purposes! ;). It's got about 10,900 stars in it, up to 200 lightyears from Sol. It also has many of the new WISE brown dwarfs as I could find (mostly within 100ly of Sol), and I'm drawing the line here - I won't update it further unless there are any really major new scientific catalogue releases, or we suddenly find another BD within 10ly of Sol. Now I need to figure out a way to get it out there for people to use!

The pic is a snippet of the star data up to 8ly around Sol (in the X-Y plane), oriented with the Corewards towards the top (the links are connections between the stars that are up to 7.7 ly long).

Attachments:
testmap8ly.png
testmap8ly.png [ 137.3 KiB | Viewed 1244 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 pm 

Dunno if I'll use that, but thank you for sharing with us. It's lovely and worth using.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:34 am 

Back in the late 90's, I tried to "fix" the 2300 map using Gliese 3 with the brand new Hipparcos data. I eliminated the "bogus" stars and replaced them with the nearest star of the same spectral class. I also did that with the phony Kafer stars. As Game Operations Director, I decreed that the Stutterwarp discharge limit was 7.7 parsecs.

Has anyone tried something similar with the new reduction/extended Hipparcos data?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:40 am 
Administrator

Well, I am :) - except I ditched Gliese3 completely and replaced it with Hipparcos because Gliese was so inaccurate by comparison. I believe you're already familiar with my Stellar Mapping page, LiNeNoiSE? That's what this new map is made from - it's the Extended Hipparcos data with the RECONS, DENSE, and CTIOPI catalogues (you can grab them from my website), and some stuff from recent WISE papers by Dupuy & Liu (2012), Bihain et al (2013), Kirkpatrick et al (2011 and 2012), Marsh et al (2013), and Luhman (2013) which I haven't added to the website yet. The LDwarf catalogue from my site was in there but it's been completely superseded by the WISE stuff.

7.7 parsecs is a huge distance though - you'd have to radically expand the human sphere for it to be a limit, or you've pretty much removed that as a limitation and don't have Arms at all since every star in 2300AD is accessible from everywhere else.

Welcome aboard, BTW!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:05 am 

If 7.7 is too big, what would be a distance limit that would cause the conectivity to stop being saturated? The 7.7, in my opinion, is an arbitrary amount that is chooses so that arms and some sort of "geography" appear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 am 
Administrator

Anders Sandberg commented on that when I posted it to Google+:
Quote:
The trick is to set the range exactly to the middle of the percolation threshold for the starfield. So it should not be too hard to calculate what range a drive should have on your map to produce arms and geography.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percolation_threshold , which right now I have no idea what to make of (Anders is vastly smarter than I am!) - but maybe I'll try to figure it out someday :) ). I dunno if the guys at GDW calculated this or if they just experimented with numbers to see what worked best using the Gliese 3 catalogue.