SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:41 am 
Administrator

Meet our new third-closest (sub-)stellar system - it's a BD binary about 2pc from Sol!

http://science.psu.edu/news-and-events/ ... hman3-2013

Interestingly it really changes the realistic 2300AD starmap. Before the only way to get from Sol to nearby stars was via a specific route from Sol to Barnard's Star to Ross 154 to AX Microscopii, and from there other stars were accessible. This Binary provides a "backdoor" out of the Sol system - now you can get directly from Sol via the BD Binary to Lacaille 9352, or YZ Ceti, or Tau Ceti, or Epsilon Eridani, or Gliese 1061!!

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:44 am 

Presumably it's existence also blows open our assumptions about the prevalence of such systems too.

If a system like that so close to us is so hard to detect, there may well be tons of them further away still to be found. If the region of space covered by the realistic 2300AD map is actually liberally sprinkled with system like that, the whole concept of constrained routes comes into question.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 am 
Administrator

That's also probably true. And of course if we move to other systems we'd be more able to find the ones closest to those more easily. I don't think it's necessarily enough to completely obliterate the concept of arms though - there will still be gaps that can't be crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 am 

Yeah, I've worried about that for a while. The same issue arises with respect to M stars beyond about 22 light-years, an Ks beyond 35. By the time you get to any such distance as might encompass a useful number of habitable worlds the transit graph based on real data is hopelessly incomplete.

So even if we decree that brown dwarfs don't count….

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:56 am 

A few other questions occur to me. I realise I'm running smack into the 'extrapolating from one data point' problem, but bear with me.

What's the prevalence of binary systems compared to, er, not sure what the correct term is. Lone primaries?
Are binary systems like this easier to detect? If so, there may be many more lone brown dwarfs around.

Are there known or guessable lower bounds to the size of bodies we are able to detect? If so again there could be tons more of these thigs below our current detection threshold.

If there's anything to these wild speculations, this would make brown dwarfs pretty common. At the scale of say a Traveller one parsec hex grid, the chances of any given hex having nothing significant in it could be very low indeed. That's not necesserily a mapping problem, you just bake in the principle that 'empty' hexes do contain these things into your assumptions.

More broadly, it affects the strategic and economic implications of any FTL systems that rely on gravity wells. Not just 2300AD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 pm 

Well for stars, about half are part of multi-star systems (so about 50% single stars and 50% multi-star)

Not sure what the percentages are for Binary, Trinary and Quad stars relative to each other are though.

A binary BD system would only be slightly more detectable than a single BD. It would likely have a higher luminosity since you have two of them, but twice a very small amount is still a very small amount.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:40 pm 

Hi there, sorry to post in an old-ish thread, but I'm working on a near star map and wondered if anyone could share the galactic XYZ coords for this system.

Constantine, I tried to email you via your website, as I can see it listed on your 2300 maps, but apparently I'm not smart enough to defeat a captcha after seven tries. Maybe the silver lining is that it brought me here, because I loves me some SFRPG and look forward to reading and posting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:33 pm 
Administrator

Galactic XYZ co-ordinates for J1049-5319 are: <1.7175, -6.3323, 0.6072> (that's <x,y,z> in lightyears). Galactic lat/lon is -74.825°, 5.287°.

Also, thanks for mentioning the problem with the email form captcha on my website (one of the settings was screwed up and of course there were no warnings about it) - I've fixed that now so it should work!