SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:43 am 
Administrator

Part I: Introduction - And so it begins... having settled on a 'final' star catalogue to use, I was finally able to move onto figuring out what the Arms ould look like in a realistic star map. So here's a taste of what it to come!

http://evildrganymede.net/2013/08/11/23 ... roduction/

I'll be discussing the new individual arms and the systems on them in more posts in the coming weeks!

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:12 am 
Administrator

Part II: Overview - in which I present a full map, and an overview of all of the arms and where they're going!

http://evildrganymede.net/2013/08/13/23 ... -overview/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 pm 

Beautiful map.
Interesting thought experiment.

... and that is why I like the Traveller 'flat universe'. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:53 pm 
Administrator

Hah - it's exactly why I don't like Traveller's flat universe :). But then jump drive doesn't really lend itself to this sort of map since you can go anywhere from anywhere else. And also J6 would get you a heck of a long way here :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 pm 

Gorgeous. I've always loved 2300 precisely for those maps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 am 
Administrator

Part III: The New French Arm - here's my reinterpretation of the French Arm using the realistic star map, complete with subway map! I tried to arrange things so that it was as close to the official history as possible too.

http://evildrganymede.net/2013/08/28/23 ... rench-arm/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 pm 

Outstanding!

Looking on your site, a more realistic starmap changes the Arms quite a bit, but it's quite interesting. The French Arm becomes more of a sphere, with lots of different ways to go. It makes the "junction" stars much more critical. Something of interest is that expansion, in a void of other influences, expands in every direction at an equal rate. With other factors put in, it's easier to imagine exploration/expansion using the hydraulic idea; it pushes out a roughly equal pace in every direction it can, unless it is stopped or slowed by something. Correspondingly, the areas that are light blue on your "subway" map probably would be explored and settled to a much greater extent.

If it altered with humans, it alters things with the Kafers event more. As Alpha Bootis (Arcturus) is only three jumps away from the Kafer homeworld means it would have been reached fairly early in the Kafer's space exploration. I don't see anything that would have prevented the Kafers from having gone down the "French" Arm towards Earth much sooner. Even if for some reason that defies emergent behavior the Kafers didn't go down the French Arm sooner, it leaves Kafer space with a paltry 11 stars and by taking Arcutrus, a foe could split most of the Kafer "sphere" from its homeworld. It defies what you'd expect to see.

It's not all bad, though. From Gamma Serpentis to Sol is 19 jumps, which gives us a lot more space to play in. In the original map, there's only 14 jumps from Gamma Serpentis to Sol, 11 of which are in the French Arm. In either case, it's only three jumps from Gamma Serpentis to Arcturus - defying logic as the Kafers have expanded out to 8 jumps in the "other" directions. There's nothing in the Kafer Sourcebook that would suggest why the Kafers would only explore about three systems out in one direction, while exploring out 8 jumps "away" from the French Arm except that the original authors didn't really think about how expansion works and shoehorned the Kafers after creating the French Arm. Especially given that Kafers are split up into multiple rival "star states" each seeking to expand, only exploring three systems out in one direction breaks belief (contrasted with humanity, where pretty much everything is still based on Earth, so expansion can be thought of mostly as centralized to Earth).

However, 19 jumps is still pretty close. Two starfaring races will encounter each other if their maximum exploration distance overlaps. So the maximum envelope for Kafer and human expansion as of 2295 certainly has to be less than 19 jumps.

Or does it?

For human, if you put Lifewater at Wolf 424, Wolf 498, or Gliese 514 it dams the expansion down the express lane to Gamma Serpentis. I don't have the spectral data for those stars, but it seems likely that at least one of them could be a candidate for the Pentapod homeworld. If humans agree to not pass through that system, they have to take the long way around at Ross 128.

A larger problem is the Kafer sphere. With expansion between Lamba Serpentis to Psi Serpentis blocked by too large of a distance, Kafer expansion will definitely drive towards Arcturus. If Lifewater is put at Wolf 424, Wolf 498, or Gliese 514, the Kafers will reach it within 7 to 9 jumps from their homeworld.

On the other hand, given there's nothing really preventing the Kafers exploring, limiting them to a maximum exploration distance to 6-8 jumps from their homeworld before they reach the Pentaworld homeworld seems a bit restricting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:26 am 
Administrator

Yeah, that does bug me a bit (no pun intended) - the Kafers are somewhat limited in their expansion possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:28 am 

EDG wrote:
Yeah, that does bug me a bit (no pun intended) - the Kafers are somewhat limited in their expansion possibilities.

The problem could be fairly easily solved, I think, by making the Kafer homeworld at Psi Serpentis. So most of their expansion is "beyond the jump."

Within perhaps the last 50-100 years, the Suzerian on Psi Serpentis developed Stutterwarp tug technology utilizing Ylii slaves. Perhaps Lambda Serpentis turned out to be an ideal Kafer colony world, so there's been quite a bit of expansion across the gulf. Nevertheless, tug technology expensive and the new Kafer "states" on Lambda Serpentis side remain mostly on their own.

This opens up quite a bit of interesting possibility for the universe. The human forces can now take Gamma and Lambda Serpentis. The human vs. Kafer war would consist of the Kafer nations on the Lambda Serpentis side of the gap; which makes their defeat a lot more reasonable, it'd still probably involve giving the Kafers Arcturus and the finger reaching from there.

The Pentapods can do their thing on the heavily populated Lambda Serpentis. But now there's a gulf that standard Stutterwarp ships can't leap; the ultimate chokepoint. Neither side has the huge numbers of tugs to transport a battlefleet across the gulf and hope to defeat what's waiting on the other side. But both sides are keenly afraid that the other side will do just that. The humans have plenty of star systems to trade "land for time" while they muster their fleets. The Kafers are aware their homeworld is just on the other side of the gap and this rightfully terrifies them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:31 pm 
Administrator

I think the problem with that is that the gap is still there. Kafers don't use tugs - they don't have the technology for that, and if they did then they could use that to get to Beta Canum too (or anywhere else for that matter).

I think that sort of change would be too drastic for people to swallow here though - I'm already getting feedback on the 2300AD group from people who think the changes I've made here are just "too much" (although in some cases it's from people who just don't seem to like the concept of having realistic arms in the first place). I'm not sure what they'll make of the changes I've had to make for the American and Chinese Arms...