SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:17 am 
Administrator

Part IV: The New American Arm - the next part of my 2300AD Realistic Star Map Project is up! This article describes what the New American Arm looks like with realistic stars (including another 'subway map')!

http://evildrganymede.net/2013/09/09/23 ... rican-arm/

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:21 am 
Administrator

Part V: The New Chinese Arm - the final part of my 2300AD Realistic Star Map Project is up! This article describes what the New Chinese Arm looks like with realistic stars (including another 'subway map')!

[2300AD] Realistic Star Map Project: Part V - The New Chinese Arm « The Lair of Evil Dr. Ganymede

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:10 am 
Administrator

2300AD Realistic Star Map update!

I managed to place a Brown Dwarf near Sol in the wrong position on the 2300AD Realistic Near Star maps, which messed up the start of the French and Chinese Arms. But I've now fixed that and made a few other changes too, so be sure to check the updated pages! More controversially perhaps, I've also had to move the Kafer homeworld (but I think its new location at Psi Serpentis works a lot better with the realistic astrography).

Updated New French Arm: http://evildrganymede.net/2013/08/28/23 ... rench-arm/

Updated New Chinese Arm: http://evildrganymede.net/2013/10/16/23 ... inese-arm/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 am 

Nice that finding the error means that the map is actually more in sync with canon.

Too bad there's not a quick way to get from Beta Canum to Beta Comae. Going from 2 segments to 17 is a pretty radical change. Maybe we can get the AGRA intelligence to tow a brown dwarf out there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 am 
Administrator

There is actually a quick way (for humans) - stutterwarp tugs - since the two stars are only 8.08 lightyears apart. Of course the problem with tugs is that they are very expensive...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:39 am 

In making my own version of the near star map (I don't have astrosynthesis, and they don't have a mac version as far as I know), I've been looking up a few stars not included in EDG's convenient downloadable files and running their stats through the bulk converter (thanks for providing that, I saw the math at Winchell Chung's site and never managed to set it up in a spreadsheet).

Unfortunately, recent (multiple) measurements for WISE 1541-2250 place it closer to 44LY out, which again creates a problematic gap between Barnard's Star and Wolf 1061.

That means that in order to get to King and Ellis etc, you'd have to travel through Delta Pavonis and wind your way up to 36 Ophiuchi, and that probably raises a whole new discussion for a separate thread.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:05 pm 
Administrator

Dammit. That's a problem... yeah, without 1541 there I'd have to go down the Chinese Arm to get there - which again is more like canon, but means I'll have to rewrite stuff again. I didn't think that any updated parallaxes would be THAT far out from the originals. :(

The paper with the new measurements is here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.1422v1

On the plus side it updates 11 existing BDs and adds five more. I'll take a proper look at it later on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:13 am 
Administrator

OK, I've updated the Realistic Star Map Project again - this time I've corrected the American Arm since some of the brown dwarf distances have been recalculated. I've done a few other minor tweaks while I was doing that, and all the Subway Maps have been updated. All the details are in this new blog post! http://evildrganymede.net/2013/12/29/23 ... rican-arm/

The updated American Arm is here: http://evildrganymede.net/2013/09/09/23 ... rican-arm/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:26 am 

Wow EDG,

you are my hero. Your 3D charts are of immense value even outside of 2300. I don't suppose you have considered marking up the known real life exo planets onto those maps?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:43 am 
Administrator

I did, but by the time I'd finished the maps I was pretty frazzled with the whole thing. I mentioned some known ones in the descriptions on the blog articles, I think.