SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:58 pm 

More Questions! Based on these mods, what do you assign a "dense" result in the middle zone? (e.g. if Earth were in Mars' orbit) Would it be either a glacier or frozen world depending on surface temp?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:54 pm 
Administrator

If atmosphere is "Dense", and Core is "Rocky" in the middle zone (5 in 6 chance), then "Frozen".
If atmosphere is "Dense", and Core is "Icy" in the middle zone (1 in 6 chance), then "Titanian".

It's a bit of a simplification - I suppose it's possible that a thick enough atmosphere or a really high greenhouse effect might push a world into habitable temperatures in the middle zone - but I think it's more likely that it would just always been sub-zero.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:35 am 
Administrator

The (somewhat unintended!) third part of my examination of the 2300AD worldbuilding system is up! In this article I make the results even more realistic (coincidentally making the distribution look a bit more similar to the results from the original system) and also add some Celestia output to better visualise the systems! http://evildrganymede.net/2014/05/18/23 ... l-version/

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 am 

You know, based on that frequency, it looks like you'd end up with close to the same number of garden worlds using your new updated maps with the expanded arms.

The game rules and setting based on these new outcomes would probably need a few tweaks to accommodate the increased travel times and additional outposts, since there would be a lot more uninviting worlds/systems in between.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:58 pm 

EDG, I'm using your 3 part 2300 update to update an excel version of 2300's system generator. I'm looking at page two and how you've suggested capping gas giants to approximately 80000km, looking at http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/ there seem to be a fair number of gas giants with a radius greater than Jupiter and a larger number with a considerably greater mass. Now, I am far from a scientist and do not know the validity of the numbers on the exo planet catalogue.

Have you considered changing the radius cap or how do you see the info on that website?

ETA: I'm not sure how big a role this plays in game, it's not like I'll have players roaming the atmosphere of a gas giant and being a 2300 based setting there's no fuel skimming. I'm asking as I'd like to make what I'm doing as closely based on known science as I can (and still have it useable by simpletons like me).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:23 pm 
Administrator

I think 80k is a reasonable upper limit based on what I've read (maybe 85k at most), but most of the ones that are bigger are really close to their star and are probably puffed out for thermal reasons.

With mass though, the more mass you pile into a jovian, the smaller it actually gets because it's self-compressing more (I think it actually starts getting smaller with more mass around 3 MJ, so I think you'd expect the 70 to 80/85k jovians between 1 and 3 MJ). Brown dwarfs are even smaller than Jupiter but contain 13 to 70 times the mass! See https://plus.google.com/+BrianKoberlein ... 5Nrzq8spRs for more explanation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:31 pm 

Thanks for the response and the link, it helped make sense to me.

The planets like http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/hat-p-32_b/ close into the star and larger than Jupiter tho with a similar mass are the Hot Jupiters right? They only exist close in?

Are the Super Jovian's in the articles also known as brown dwarfs or am I simply confusing terms?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:07 pm 
Administrator

As far as I know, the puffed-up ones exist only in torch orbits (orbital period of a few days or less).

Superjovians (as i've defined them) are gas giants that are 2-12 jupiter masses - too small to be brown dwarfs (which start at 13 MJ). Though to be honest from what we've seen this is actually more like the norm, and our Jupiter's actually a tiddler on the cosmic scale...