SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Beyond the Official Map
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:08 pm 

Well, actually, beyond the "explored" region.

With the imminent release of BAYERN, a redo of the original adventure, there is mention of a couple of expeditions beyond the explored regions of the setting.

But, there are several objects closer to Earth than either the Pleiades or the BAADE mission to Pulsar CP 0950+08 (mentioned in the original Bayern book).

Possible sites include, but are not limited to:

AP Columbae: The nearest Pre-Stellar object located 2.2 ly from Gamma Leporis (25ly from Earth). The star hasn't ignited yet! Talk about access to stellar/planetary formation info!

IK Pegasi: Nearest Supernova Candidate (Type 1a Supernova). A million years from exploding, but scientifically interesting none the less. Material flowing from on star onto another!

Fomalhaut: A known planetary system in the making. Planetary Scientists have Vega already, but having another system to compare it to would be very desireable.

There must be others.

What does everyone think? Would they have sent expeditions yet? I think AP Columbae would be explored, which would open up quite a bit of the Chinese arm, at least to initial exploration (data reported as they passed through), there are several candidate Garden systems along the way.

IK Pegasi is a bit more problematic, but if they are willing to go 800 ly to Pleiades, I would expect someone proposed a trip to this baby.

There must be others out there within 50 ly of Sol that would push the arms faster than normal exploration?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:08 pm 

I think once travel between the stars has matured to the extent it has in 2300, then yes, there would be plenty of pre colony exploration going on, in fact, I'd say it would be the driving reason behind many a game. As long as there's a way back, why wouldn't there be a large number of exploratory missions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:42 am 

Maybe it's just me, but I never got the impression that there was a LOT of exploration of new systems going on. Sure, they were exploring along each Arm and Finger, but I always thought it would be one system at a time. Maybe that is my small-mindedness.

If you disagree (please do!), how far out from the last listed colony/outpost do you think has been reasonably explored, even if only by someone passing through?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:00 am 

OK, I've not got the books in front of me at the moment so I am going from memory and not from what's written.

But...

:mrgreen:

The emphasis of the game was had several focal points, the Kaefer War and life on Aurora, the Beanstalk on BCV to name two. That humanity had only got so far is to me the great potential of 2300, the NSL goes 50LY from Earth, that's nothing! To quote the Good Book: "Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."

The published books don't detail space further out is kinda like saying that everything outside the 50LY sphere is Foreven, it's ours to write, just cos exploration wasn't detailed in the books doesn't mean it wasn't happening!

What we know now about brown dwarves throws the arms and fingers as written out of the window, personally I'd rather use BD's to link systems I want linked and leave the majority of them out of the picture: why break it? Better to acknowledge it as good for the period it was written in and keep as is. (And create a new setting with current info and move forward!)

50LY is stepping out of the front door and standing on your porch!

Coming back to the thread (sorry), exploration in times of war is going to be limited by money and resources directed to the war but on the arms far from the French with the other nations keen to gain the upper hand exploration to new systems and new resources would be a major undertaking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:29 pm 

AP Columbae is within the 50 ly sphere. It is 27.4 ly from Earth and about 2.2 ly from Gamma Leporis (which is shown on the map).

In the Bayern book it says that the Hyades are not as much of interest to the stellar scientists, but I think they would be of great interest to mining concerns. All those young systems are bound to have a lot of shorter-lived radioactives and heavy metals. Maybe not any Garden worlds, but maybe some decent pre-Garden worlds.

I was also interested in how far beyond the worlds listed in the 2300AD book (lets stick to the Mongoose version for simplicity) have humans explored. I think we can all agree that there will be exploration beyond the farthest colony or outpost on any finger or arm, but how far? 1 system? 3 systems? More?

OR, would each country be slightly different. For example the Manchus explore slowly and methodically, setting up outposts in every system as they move out, but the Europeans are spreading out as fast as they can and are at least 2-3 systems beyond any outpost or colony while the Amer-Stralians are somewhere in the middle. I kinda like this idea, but not sure if my stereotypes fit properly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:45 pm 

EDG mentioned he was checking the detail on the French Arm systems the other day, I would absolutely buy a book that detailed each system within 50 LY of Earth. Be good to have criteria that would explain what, if any bases are present in each system. I've started combining EDG's amendments for the original 2300's system generator for a finger I've a setting in mind for but I wonder what Mongoose/Colin have in the pipeline?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:29 pm 

Tools for Frontier Living suggests that colonization has just about ground to a standstill, because of the costs involved and very limited short-term returns.

Whether that impacts exploration or not, I dunno, but I would think that if there's less interest in settling, then probably there's less money available for research.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:01 pm 

That makes sense to me. You get a period of rapid expansion (exploration) followed by a period of exploitation (colonization) and then, hopefully, another round of expansion.

The 2300 setting seems to be at the beginning of the Exploitation phase after the rapid expansion. The Kaefer War will of course completely stop expansion for a while, except in certain military applications. I would expect even the Chinese and American Arms would stop exploring until they see what happens on the French Arm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:46 pm 

Matt Wilson wrote:
Tools for Frontier Living suggests that colonization has just about ground to a standstill, because of the costs involved and very limited short-term returns.

Whether that impacts exploration or not, I dunno, but I would think that if there's less interest in settling, then probably there's less money available for research.

I would posit that colonization is mainly grinding to a halt for the major powers, like governments as big as France or the USA and maybe corps like Trilon. Smaller powers would still be going and trying it though naturally with less resources (since they want to become larger powers).

You'd also get separatist and fringe groups doing their own colonization for someplace they can have their "colonist's dream" of independence, like (for example) Arabs from Palestine who don't want to live with the Jews anymore but don't want a war, or Jews from Palestine who don't want to live next door to Iranians, or even Americans who don't want to live in an officially sanctioned (and therefore officially CONTROLLED) colony.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 pm 

Good points. I like the idea of wildcat colonies.