SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:54 pm 

In the 2300 worldgen section, there's a chart where you determine atm oxygen based on ocean coverage, then multiply by atm pressure to determine total oxygen pressure.

Can someone tell me if that's the equivalent of partial pressure? And do the listed human tolerances of 0.05/0.4 hold up?

Also interested in some suggestions about comfort zones. What's a good cutoff point to make a note that the air is technically safe to breathe but can be difficult for newcomers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:02 pm 

I believe that was the intent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:51 pm 
Administrator

This might be of use: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1254

And yes, partial pressure of a gas is its percentage in the atmosphere * the pressure of the atmosphere.

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:14 pm 

That link is really interesting. Makes me think that:

a) the oxygen % tied to hydro on that chart should plateau a bit more at the top end, perhaps only 1% per 10% water.
b) the effect of density might need to be seriously muted, e.g. multiply O2 % by (1+atm/10), so a 1.5 atm world with 20% O2 would have a ppO of 0.23

Something along those lines... or perhaps:

c) if there's oxygen producing life, ppO is 16+1d6 %

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:33 pm 
Administrator

Partial pressure is what it is - it's a real, physical measurement, not a game rule - so you can't "mute it" :). Your example world would have an O2 partial pressure of 1.5*0.2 = 0.3.

What's interesting is that even slightly denser atmospheres would cause a lot of problems for human habitability (which isn't surprising, since we're evolved to live on Earth with its atmospheric parameters). e.g. The Oxygen pressure would pretty much have to cap out at 0.35 (no matter how high the atmospheric pressure was) or every lightning strike would cause a firestorm. And the Nitrogen pp would have to remain low enough for humans to tolerate without nitrogen narcosis.

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:37 pm 

EDG wrote:
Partial pressure is what it is - it's a real, physical measurement, not a game rule - so you can't "mute it" :). Your example world would have an O2 partial pressure of 1.5*0.2 = 0.3.

Oh, I understand that. I was trying to come up with an approach that would create a sort of bell curve for oxygen content, so that increased ocean coverage and increased atm density offered a diminishing return.

And now I'm thinking that the weird mistake in 2300 is associating ocean coverage with a percentage of oxygen, when it ought to be a volume of oxygen. Regardless of how much other gas is there to start with, a plant's gonna produce what a plant's gonna produce, right?

There should be a chart that multiplies ocean coverage by planet surface area to determine a quantity of oxygen, which you'd calculate as a percentage of the total atmosphere.

A world that's Earth sized, with 70% ocean coverage, produces the baseline, 0.2 bars or whatever is an easy number. Earth's atm is 1 bar, so ppO is 20%
A world that's 5,000 km in radius, with the same ocean coverage, produces 60% as much, or 0.12 bars. If this world's total atm is 0.8, your ppO is 15%

And so on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:53 pm 

EDG wrote:

What's interesting is that even slightly denser atmospheres would cause a lot of problems for human habitability (which isn't surprising, since we're evolved to live on Earth with its atmospheric parameters). e.g. The Oxygen pressure would pretty much have to cap out at 0.35 (no matter how high the atmospheric pressure was) or every lightning strike would cause a firestorm. And the Nitrogen pp would have to remain low enough for humans to tolerate without nitrogen narcosis.

Hmm, has anyone ever distinguished things like if O2 pressure is high enough to translate lightning strikes into firestorms would be bad for any but very unusual life forms while presumably different Nitrogen pp ranges (perhaps with some limits) would be tolerable by different lifeforms.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:46 pm 

ffilz wrote:
EDG wrote:

Hmm, has anyone ever distinguished things like if O2 pressure is high enough to translate lightning strikes into firestorms would be bad for any but very unusual life forms while presumably different Nitrogen pp ranges (perhaps with some limits) would be tolerable by different lifeforms.

Frank

Plenty of plant species have adapted to periodic fires; no doubt we´d see a lot more of that on worlds with high O2 partial pressure. Plus, presumably, oceanic (and probably all other aquatic) life would be unaffected by wildfires.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"