SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:26 pm 

Does that app have the ability to calculate stutterwarp-type connections? As in draw lines to everything N LY or closer? I'm assuming that's what EDG did to create his "accurate" 2300 arms.

If so, have you tried bumping up the range just a bit? I'm looking at Beta Canum and Beta Comae again, and they're what? 8.1 LY apart? How crazy does it get if you make stutterwarp range 8.1 LY?

Anyone done that? Curious about how far you can get before the arms become a spiderweb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:24 pm 

Matt Wilson wrote:
Does that app have the ability to calculate stutterwarp-type connections? As in draw lines to everything N LY or closer? I'm assuming that's what EDG did to create his "accurate" 2300 arms.

If so, have you tried bumping up the range just a bit? I'm looking at Beta Canum and Beta Comae again, and they're what? 8.1 LY apart? How crazy does it get if you make stutterwarp range 8.1 LY?

Anyone done that? Curious about how far you can get before the arms become a spiderweb.

You can automatically create "proximity routes" - you get to select minimum and maximum length, and maximum number of connections per system. You can do that for all systems visible at the time, all selected systems, all populated systems, or all populated and selected systems. And you can define several types of routes so they┬┤ll be displayed in different colors and styles.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:52 pm 

Thanks. One of these days I'm going to have to install parallels so I can get all the neat windows-only software.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:22 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, what Sir Chaos said. I set the min to 0 ly, max to 7.7 ly, and number of links per star to a large number like 25 so that it can find all the routes for each star.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:34 pm 

Have you ever messed with the max to see if a little change can get you closer to the canonical arms? Like say 7.9 LY or 8.1 LY?

I'm afraid if I got the software, that's what I'd do all day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:53 pm 
Administrator

A bit. With the realistic stars (which is all I can work with), increasing the distance really changes it from "Arms" to more like a "Web", as stars become even more interlinked. With smaller distances, you start getting more breaks and gaps, and you just end up with isolated clusters. The sweet spot really does seem to be between about 6-8 ly.

I can't say how it works with the official 2300AD map because that's inaccurate anyway and I don't have the stellar data for it.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!