SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:25 am 

As things stand it's not really clear what part of this discussion board is a suitable place for discussing SF settings that are not the setting of any particular SF RPG. It's clear that the Official Traveller Universe, the 2300 universe, and settings for Stars Without Number are to be discussed in the corresponding subforums in SPECIFIC SF RPG DISCUSSION. But it's not clear that, say, the Star Trek setting, the Star Wars universe, or my home-brew setting — even when they are considered as settings for campaigns rather than as literary/dramatic settings— ought to be discussed in the Specific SF RPG Discussion subforum of SPECIFIC SF RPG DISCUSSION, because they aren't related to specific RPGs. As for General SF RPG Discussion, it's described as being for general issues that are common to many different games, which doesn't suggest to me a specific setting.

Perhaps some of the subforum descriptions need a little tweaking, or perhaps we could do with a "Specific Setting Discussion" subforum in SPECIFIC SF RPG DISCUSSION.

For now I am going to start a thread bout my home-brew setting in the Specific SF RPG Discussion subforum, even though that is not quite what the description says that subforum is for.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:56 am 
Administrator

I suppose I could be clearer there. :)

By "Specific SF RPG Discussion" I really mean "Other specific SF RPGs that don't have their own board". So if you wanted to talk about Star Trek or a homebrew or Thousand Suns or whatever then you can do it on that board (just put the RPG name in the subject line like this: "[Eclipse Phase] some more morph ideas". I can just rename that to "Other SF RPGs" or something to make that clearer. (EDIT: Done that now)

The "specific" and "general" distinction was intended to split up things that were specific to individual settings vs things that were general across many settings (e.g. if you want to talk about Warp Drive in Star Trek, that'd be "Specific", but if you wanted to talk about FTL drive possibilities for a setting then that would be "General").

Does that make more sense?

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:19 am 

EDG wrote:
I suppose I could be clearer there. :)

By "Specific SF RPG Discussion" I really mean "Other specific SF RPGs that don't have their own board". So if you wanted to talk about Star Trek or a homebrew or Thousand Suns or whatever then you can do it on that board (just put the RPG name in the subject line like this: "[Eclipse Phase] some more morph ideas". I can just rename that to "Other SF RPGs" or something to make that clearer. (EDIT: Done that now)

The "specific" and "general" distinction was intended to split up things that were specific to individual settings vs things that were general across many settings (e.g. if you want to talk about Warp Drive in Star Trek, that'd be "Specific", but if you wanted to talk about FTL drive possibilities for a setting then that would be "General").

Does that make more sense?

It does, thank you.

That is more or less what I supposed you meant. It's just that the explanations could be a trifle more explicit. I don't suppose that I am the only SF gamer with a tendency to be a bit too literal.

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:10 pm 

Just remember that if you pick the wrong forum, we will heckle you mercilessly! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:39 pm 
Administrator

Or I'll just move it :).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:24 pm 

That's no fun! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:50 pm 

Moderators being helpful on an InterNet forum? Unheardof!

Frivolity aside: the goal would be not just to have all the threads in the "right" places, but also to ease the anxiety of fussy and obsessive types like me when we are looking for the place to start our threads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:57 pm 
Administrator

I know, it's shocking ;). This board is small enough that I can keep an eye on everything fairly easily though.

Hopefully things are make more sense now, but let me know if you spot anything else that isn't as clear as it could be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:30 pm 

Thanks, EDG. Changing the title of that subforum from "Specific SF RPGs" to "Other SF RPGs" is helpful and welcome.

Now, can I persuade you to change its descriptive text from "Discussion of topics specific to Other SF RPGs that don't have their own dedicated sub-boards listed above (e.g. Eclipse Phase, Blue Planet, Homebrews, etc)." to ""Discussion of topics specific to other SF RPGs and settings that don't have their own dedicated sub-boards listed above." ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:55 pm 

The game/setting distinction — or at least, my understanding of it — is a bit odd.

"Game" can mean a single episode/session ("I'm sorry, I have to miss your game tonight"), a campaign consisting of several or even indefinitely many sessions ("I'm starting a new Traveller game: want to play?"), a specific set of rules ("I like generic games"), or even a set of rules that has a particular setting associated with it ("Skyrealms of Jorune is not my favourite roleplaying game"). But it sort of skips over a setting: we (or at least I) don't call the Star Wars universe a game even though there are several Star Wars RPGs, or call the OTU a game even though it was originally designed specially for Traveller.

Idioms are strange.