SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 pm 

As you may have seen from my previous threads, I am slowly teaching myself Python 3 by writing various RPG-related scripts, primarily for Traveller (or the Cepheus Engine).

I am intermittently working on my sector generator, but now am trying my hand at a character generator. This is a very useful project, as it allows me to experiment with Object-Oriented Programming. This is my FIRST EVER EXPERIENCE with OOP, and so far is going very well; I have already learned about Inheritance.

I also learned quite a lot about Dictionaries from dealing with the skill list.

The main concept is this is a super-class called Career which has all the chargen methods, then a specific career class which inherits from it and sets the career values (enlistment, survival, skill lists, etc), then the character himself who is also a class and inherits from the specific career class.

All classes except for the character itself will be in a "library" py file, with the program's "mechanics" (the generation process itself, saving to file, etc) being in the "main" py file.

Very enjoyable and educative so far!

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 pm 

I'm about to head to the library to pick up a copy of Learn Python the Hard Way that I placed on hold! Hopefully I can find some RPG-related opportunities to practice what I learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:02 pm 
Administrator

that's pretty much how I learned what I know of Python too :). Though I'm not quite so advanced as to know how Lists and Dictionaries work.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 pm 

Lists and Dictionaries become two of your most powerful programming tools once you learn how to use them properly. They save you SO MUCH work and excess code.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King