SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:16 pm 
Administrator

I got the Star Wars 30th Anniversary edition RPG but I'm curious about the new FFG ones (Edge of Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny), particularly Age of Rebellion since I just finished watching all of Star Wars Rebels. Has anyone tried those out? I'm a little concerned about the fact that they need special dice but they look pretty decently supported in terms of books.

Anyone got any thoughts/opinions on them? Are they easy to run? Is it worth getting the Beginners Games?

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:10 am 

I've played it and enjoyed it.

The dice are used, in theory, as a narrative tool. For example, you could fail but gain advantage for another try, or to give to another character to use (e.g. you fail to shoot a stormtrooper but cause him to dodge into an ally's attack); alternatively, you could succeed, but gain disadvantage anyways, such as when you hack a computer but leave enough traces that a security alarm eventually goes off.

The beginner's box contains a set of characters, dice and a quick start with an adventure. I think it's worth it for the dice and the adventure, though I trust you to make your own decision. :)

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:18 pm 
Administrator

I guess the dice are what make me hesitate. I have the Genesys RPG rulebook (which I think has slightly different unique dice but the same idea - IIRC they're actually the same in terms of mechanics, but with different symbols on some?) and I'm not sure if I really like that kind of thing. I think my hesitation is from the probabilities not being very transparent, though I think it basically says that because of the way the system works every skill roll is a unique experience.

I think it's slowly coming together in my head the more I look at it. How quickly did it take for you and your GM (if you were a player) to get used to it? And how did it feel in play? What was your character's success rate in rolls usually?

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:18 am 

It took a few sessions to get it, though the GMs I played with had read it a few times before trying to run it.

I eventually gave my books to a member of my D&D group, and he's planning to run it; he does find the mechanic a bit difficult as he's used to D&D 3.5 and 5.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:47 am 

I have Edge of the Empire, and I find it a little cumbersome.

The "killer app" of the dice is really that they produce "yes, but..." and "no, but..." outcomes. That part just by itself I think is a good fit for the setting, but it's saddled with a lot of detailed stuff that slows everything down. WEG's first ed of the Star Wars RPG is probably the closest anything has ever come to getting it right, at least for what I want.

I dunno, though. I realized that people want radically different things from Star Wars years ago when an acquaintance told me he played star wars galaxies and his character was a wookiee tailor.