SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:14 am 

Matt Wilson wrote:
I found this doc concise and informative. I was hoping I'd spot some "you could maybe cut/shorten this" sections to help drop the page/word count, but I think you've been through as many stages of editing as a doc can handle.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

Now suppose that the following were on the shelf beside it. Which would you reach for next?

1. A book about the Empire and PCs working for the Imperial government.
  2. A book about interstellar non-government organisations and PCs working as effectives thereof.
  3. A book about technology with catalogues of armour, weapons, vehicles, and gear.
  4. A handbook of worlds in Central Sector.
  5. A handbook of worlds in some outer sector.
  6. A booklet about one particular world from the section "Colonies you have heard of"
  7. A Flat Black novella

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm 

Hmm.

If this were prelude to a game I was almost certain to play in, probably 1 or 2. For a big setting, I appreciate a zoom-in that focuses on what I can do as a PC. What's it like being an operative? Who are the primary threats? How do people tend to view the empire, etc.

If I'm the GM, mayyyybe the same thing. Of course I'd pick a focused thing as GM and study it, and then the players would all say "we want to play the other thing".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:00 am 

Agemegos wrote:
There's a revised text at the same URL, but the changes are not very substantial.

The current text is about 9,700 words. That's a bit more than my target (8,500 words), but the target was arbitrary, and I don't care to cut anything that's in there.

I have finished another new revision, in which I did a bit of re-structuring and re-wrote a bit of this and that. It's 9,996 words now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:25 pm 

Very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 pm 

Agemegos wrote:
Now suppose that the following were on the shelf beside it. Which would you reach for next?

1. A book about the Empire and PCs working for the Imperial government.
  2. A book about interstellar non-government organisations and PCs working as effectives thereof.
  3. A book about technology with catalogues of armour, weapons, vehicles, and gear.
  4. A handbook of worlds in Central Sector.
  5. A handbook of worlds in some outer sector.
  6. A booklet about one particular world from the section "Colonies you have heard of"
  7. A Flat Black novella

I always go for more gear myself, but are you thinking of adding any setting-specific character generation rules?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:10 pm 

Vile wrote:
I always go for more gear myself, but are you thinking of adding any setting-specific character generation rules?

I've been GMing ForeSight recently, and it doesn't really need them. So I'm on the look-out for an approachable RPG with the right level of detail and few enough mechanical problems, and don't feel competent to design one. When I find one no doubt I'll devise a set of chargen localisations to Flat Black.