SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Low Tech Worlds
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:30 pm 

It can be okay to have a society that is doomed, just so long as it’s not dead yet.

If you have a lot of them that’s a bit of a bummer, but just a few, if they’e doomed in somewhat different ways, can be okay. One time, when I was running a campaign for what would have been scouts if if had been Traveller, the party landed on a coral-fringed tropical island. The gorgeous, happy, half-naked locals lead them to a temple where a groups of priests chanted a litany at them: “We’re very glad you’re here, beecause out diet is deficit in alpha-linolenic acid and iodine, and we’re living on top of a superplume.” But it turned out that they didn’t understand what it meant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:32 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Both good ideas. My concern with geothermal power was ground instability. If you have an unstable region, how can your caves maintain air integrity? Especially long-term. I figured quakes would cause cracks and eventually the cave system would lose its air - at least over hundreds or thousands of years.

The area doesn't have to be unstable to have a bit of geothermal energy. Britain has very few and rather pathetic earthquakes, but it also has hot springs in Harrogate and in Bath: https://www.thermaebathspa.com/news-info/about-the-spa/spa-history/
https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/GeositesBath

Bits of Bath are liable to collapse into underground caverns not because of quakes, but because people have been quarrying limestone out from under the town for centuries, plus groundwater dissolving the limestone away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:21 pm 

What strontygirl said.

Also, there´s Iceland - they have so much geothermal energy that even now they have to think sideways to use it all. They heat up their sidewalks in winter, and a secluded bay in summer (to make it warm enough to bath in, despite being near the arctic circle). No major earthquake risk, but quite a lot of volcanism.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:52 pm 

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the low-level thermal activity - I was thinking Yellowstone...